Lone Star Slaw
- Ready In:
- 1 large red cabbage
- 5 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 12 slices bacon
- 2 cups Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (mild or hot according to personal preference)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cumin
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a very large mixing bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, green pepper and onion. Set aside. Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp. Drain the bacon on paper towels, and reserve the bacon fat in the skillet. Crumble the bacon into small bits and set aside.
- Add the mayonnaise and sour cream to the bacon fat in the skillet and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the heavy cream, mustard, chili powder and cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix half of the crumbled bacon into the cabbage mixture. Add the mayonnaise dressing mixture and toss very well to coat the coleslaw thoroughly. Transfer to a large, decorative serving bowl. Top the coleslaw with the remaining bacon and parsley. Serve slightly chilled or at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!