London Particular Soup (Pea & Ham Soup)
photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1⁄2 ounce butter
- 2 ounces streaky bacon, chopped (some fried pieces for garnish)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 lb dried split peas
- 4 pints chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt
- Melt butter and add bacon, onion, carrot and celery. Cook for 5-10 minutes until the vegetables have begun to soften.
- Add the peas and the stock. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer 1 hour, until the peas are cooked. Place in a blender to liquify (use caution with hot soup). Return to the pot and add the yogurt; gently reheat without boiling.
- Serve garnished with crispy, crumbled bacon and croutons if you like.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wow, we loved this soup Nancy. It was terrific for the cold snowy day we were having. Quick, easy to make with excellent results. The flavor of this thick, smooth soup was outstanding, you could really taste the split peas and all the lovely vegetables. I did add some extra chicken stock to thin it out a bit (personal preference only). Served this with recipe #488968 for an awesome meal, thanks so much for sharing.