Lloyd's Squirrel or Chicken Pot Pie
photo by KateL
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
2 pot pies
- 1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 5 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 5 medium russet potatoes, coarsely diced
- 3 tablespoons garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
- 6 -8 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 4 -6 squirrels, cleaned or 1 1/2 lbs skinless chicken pieces
- 15 ounces canned peas, drained
- 15 ounces canned lima beans, drained
- 12 ounces canned mexicorn whole kernel corn (optional) or 12 ounces canned mixed vegetables, drained (optional)
- 4 ounces canned mushroom pieces, drained (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 pastry for double-crust pie (4 crusts)
- Combine the onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, garlic, broth, salt and pepper and squirrel (or chicken) in a large pot and bring to a boil; simmer until meat is very tender and easily removed from bones. Debone the meat and set aside; reserve 2 1/2 to 3 cups cooking liquid.
- Fit the bottom crusts into 2 pie pans. (The box of Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts said to lightly brown the bottom crust before filling with pot pie mixture.).
- Combine the meat, vegetables, reserved broth and cornstarch in a large bowl and mix well; divide the mixture between the 2 pie shells. Top with the second crust, press the edges to seal and cut vents in the top for steam to escape. Bake at 350 degrees until crust is browned, about 1 hour.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to eat yummy healthy foods!