Llano Smothered Doves
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This original recipe comes from the Ratliss family in Llano, Texas, published in the Jameison's cookbook, Texas Home Cooking.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 12 whole doves, dressed
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 dash bitters
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Rub the doves with salt and pepper.
- Warm the olive oil over medium heat, and brown the doves well, turning them once.
- Transfer the doves to a plate.
- To the hot oil, add the onion, garlic, and rosemary, and sauté until the onion has softened.
- Return the doves to the skillet, and add the stock and sherry.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Transfer doves to serving platter and keep warm.
- Pour the cream and bitters into the pan juices.
- Put the flour into a small bowl.
- Spoon a few Tbsps.
- of warm liquid into the flour and stir well.
- Stir flour mixture into the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Cook until it thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Pour the gravy over the doves and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION