Lisa's Sausage-Rice Casserole
I found this version in a local farmers market cookbook. I made a few changes but the basic recipe is still the same. Most other versions call for dried chicken noodle soup mix which is hard to find here. Recipe calls for hot sausage but you can use the mild.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 29mins
- 1 lb bulk hot pork sausage
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook sausage until brown .Drain grease well.
- Lightly grease a 3-qt. casserole dish. Spread rice evenly in pan. Sprinkle onions, celery, green peppers and water chestnuts over rice. Sprinkle salt and pepper over vegetables. Pour chicken broth and water over vegetables. Spoon sausage on top. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and stir well. Cover and bake an additional 30 minutes.