Linda's Tamale Pie
photo by NannyMarvel
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium bell pepper, chopped, I use the yellow ones
- 1 stalk celery, peeled and chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can red enchilada sauce (mild or hot, your choice)
- 1 (3 ounce) can chopped green chili peppers, peppers-mild
- 1 bunch coriander leaves, roughly chopped (cilantro)
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup frozen corn
- 10 small green olives
- In a good sized frying plan (cast iron preferred), cook the ground beef, onion, bell pepper and celery until beef is no longer pink. Drain.
- Add the enchilada sauce, green chile peppers, drained ground beef mixture, cilantro, lime juice and spices to the frying pan. Mix thoroughly and adjust spices to taste.
- Place the olives evenly on the beef mixture.
- Cover with the cheeses.
- Mix the cornbread mix, egg, sour cream, milk and corn together to form a lumpy batter.
- Pour cornbread batter over the meat and cheese mixtures in the frying pan. Smooth batter to evenly cover the mixture and to the edges of the pan.
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 30-45 minutes - until the cornbread batter is golden brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I guess it's been awhile since I've updated my info (that's an understatement!). I live on 10 acres outside San Luis Obispo with my hubby and our 6 cats and very large dog. Sam (my icon cat) passed away a few years ago. Bob, the feral cat that is the biggest and clumsiest goofball in the world is still around.? Big Red, an overweight sweetie that was partially tame, especially at mealtime passed a year ago due to a rattlesnake bite and Spook - another feral - pure black with yellow eyes is also still with us. Our little Dash passed away about 6 years ago at 18 months and broke our hearts in the process. There's a picture of her on my Soups & Stews cookbook. Since that time, (4 years ago) we got our beloved Franci (Great Pryrenees/Lab mix) and 2 months ago adopted a litter of kittens - 3 in all.? We have Skipper, Ginger and Marianne.? Who says you can't have a houseful of children and herd cats when you're in your 70s? I love to cook and garden and now that I am semi-retired, I have more time to do both. My husband is a willing guinea pig for my cooking and since he's still among the living, I guess I haven't had too many klunkers. This site is the best thing since sliced bread. All my cookbooks are now on display. I only use 4 and 5 star reviews - why hurt someone's feelings with a mediocre or bad review. Just don't make the dish again.</p>