Linda's Old-Fashioned Potato Salad
This potato salad has FABULOUS FLAVOR... A little different than the traditional Potato Salad recipe... I made some today, and it reminded me to share this fantastic recipe with all of you! Great for barbecues, showers, picnics... Heck, good anytime!
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs red potatoes or 2 lbs thin skinned white potatoes, skins on, larger potatoes cut in half
- 2 tablespoons salt, for water to cook potatoes
- 5 large eggs, hard boiled, and chopped fine
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped fine
- 3 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 large green pepper, sliced into strips, then chopped fine
- 1 medium carrot, finely shredded
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise, to taste (Do NOT use fat free or low fat)
- 2 -3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Cover same size potatoes with water by 2" in a 3 quart saucepan. Add 2 T. of salt, and bring to a boil, then cook uncovered, until just tender, 15-25 mins., depending on size of potatoes. (If you cook them too long, they will be soggy.)
- Drain in a colander, and cool to room temperature, then refrigerate in a covered bowl.
- Meanwhile, run the eggs under cold water, crack, and peel. Put the eggs in with the bowl with of potatoes, to chill.
- When potatoes are cold, (and if you want to do this in a hurry, you can put them in the freezer for a 1/2 hour or so to cool) take out of the refrigerator, and cut into 1" pieces (leaving the skins on).
- Cut up eggs in a small bowl, then squeeze between your fingers, to make them fine.
- Cut yellow onions, green onions, celery and green pepper, and shred carrots. Add to potato mixture, and mix together carefully, trying not to break up potatoes.
- Add mayonnaise, vinegar, and mustard together in a small bowl, mixing well.
- Add to potato mixture, and carefully mix together.
- Adjust flavor with salt, and lots of freshly ground pepper.
- Serve cold, on a platter with a bed of fresh greens, and a sprinkling with paprika, to garnish.
- Makes 4-6 servings.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This is the first and only potato recipe I'm ever going to try. It's totally yummy I ate the entire meal by myself over 3 days!!! Because I only had 97% fat free mayo, I substituted it with Japanese mayo in those huge squeeze bottles. I'll recommend trying it with that if you have it on hand. Thanks Linda!