Limoncello , Lemoncella
- Ready In:
- 1920hrs 30mins
- Wash the lemons well with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any residue of pesticides or wax.
- Pat the lemons dry.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the lemons.
- If you do get some of the pith with the zest, carefully scrape it away with the tip of a knife.
- Fill the jar with one bottle of the vodka and the zest.
- Cover the jar and let it sit forty days at room temperature in a dark cabinet.
- Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan, bring it to a boil and cook until thickened, about five minutes.
- Let the syrup cool before adding it to the limoncello mixture, along with the other bottle of vodka.
- Cover and return to the cupboard for another 40 days.
- Strain the limoncello into bottles and discard the lemon zest.
- Store them in a cupboard or the freezer.
Join The Conversation
This is divine! I just filtered and bottled up the Christmas presents and told my DH that I wanted to be a Scrooge and keep it all for myself! I used the 5 cups of sugar like some of the other reviewers and think I could drink it on the rocks easily. I didn't read the directions enough times and added all of the vodka with the lemon zest and after the 40 days added the simple syrup-- it is DELICIOUS! Thanks Roger!