Lime and Garlic Soup
photo by januarybride
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1⁄4 cup minced garlic
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups cored peeled seeded and diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- salt and pepper
- Place the peanut oil in the bottom of a large, deep saucepan or Dutch oven and turn the heat to medium.
- Add the garlic and stir. Cook, stirring occasionally, just until garlic becomes blond, about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and tomatoes and turn the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring, until the mixture boils, then turn the heat down to medium.
- Stir in lime juice and salt and pepper.
- Taste and add more salt, pepper and lime juice to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Loving both garlic and lime, we knew we'd love this soup, but for sheer deliciousness it exceeded our expectations, so it's certainly a soup I'll be making often, especially since it's so quick and easy to make. Do use the best stock you can in this. I used my Recipe #135453 and added a sliced leek and a minced onion to the garlic (just lovethe yummy blend of those three together). I also added the suggested cooked chicken, making this a wonderful one dish meal which we thoroughly enjoyed with warmed, crusty ciabatta rolls. Made for Ali Baba's Babes for ZWT 5.
A nice, light summer soup. I went with a green theme, using diced tomatillos in place of the tomatoes, added some green chilis, and some minced jalapeno. I also added some shredded roast chicken breast which was great. This was best at room temperature. Next time I will use less oil for frying the garlic, as it ended up floating to the top of the soup.
I made half a recipe, using a single very large tomato and bottled pre-minced garlic. Not having to mince the garlic myself meant there was hardly any work and the process took only about half the 30 min time indicated in the recipe. I did also add the cayenne Susie suggests in her introduction. A wonderful no-fuss light soup!