Lighter Than Air Pancakes
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (6 1/4 oz.)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- vegetable oil, for the pan
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, sour cream, egg yolks, and melted butter together.
- In a big bowl, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on med-low speed until foamy, about 1 minute.
- Increase speed to med-high and whip the whites to soft peaks, 1-3 minutes.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, pour the buttermilk mixture into the well, and gently whisk together until just incorporated with a few lumps remaining (do not overmix).
- Carefully fold in the whipped whites using a rubber spatula until just combined with a few streaks.
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes; brush the pan bottom with a thin layer of the oil.
- Using 1/8 cup (2 tablespoons) of batter per pancake, add the batter to the skillet (4 pancakes will fit at a time) and cook until large bubbles begin to appear, about 2 minutes.
- Flip the pancakes and continue to cook until golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Serve pancakes immediately, while repeating with the remaining batter, brushing the skillet with oil as needed.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!