Lighter French Silk Pie
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Incredibly rich yet easier on the waist & hips than most recipes! Note: time includes chill time
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 15mins
- 30 newman's own organics chocolate wafers
- 2 tablespoons pitted dates, chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 whole egg
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 8 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons egg white powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- chocolate shavings (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Coat 9" pie pan with cooking spray.
- Combine chocolate wafers and dates in food processor. (Note: You can use another brand of chocolate wafers, but try to find one with no hydogenated oils or you'll be adding lots of fat you don't need) Chop finely. Add water and oil and process until moistened. Press into bottom and sides of pie pan.
- Bake crust 10 minutes until crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Combine coffee and water in bowl. Sprinkle gelatin on top and set aside.
- Whisk egg, milk, 3 tablespoons brown sugar and cocoa in small saucepan. When wmooth, turn heat on low and continue whisking until thickened. Do not simmer.
- Remove from heat. Add gelatin mixture; stir until dissolved.
- Add chocolate and vanilla, stirring until melted. Set aside cool 30 minutes.
- With electric mixer on low speed, beat together egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl. When frothy, raise speed to high and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add 5 tablespoons brown sugar, beating until smooth and glossy.
- Whisk 1/4 of meringue into chocolate mixture until smooth. Fold chocolate mixture into remaining meringue with whisk.
- Spoon into the crust and chill, uncovered, 3 hours.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings before serving.
- Need chocolate shavings? Make your own!Place block of chocolate (at least 2 oz) on wax paper. Microwave on Defrost 10-25 seconds until slightly softened. With swivel-bladed veggie peeler, shave into curls.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION