Light Orange Sweet Potato (Yam) Marshmallow Casserole
This is a light, healthy, but flavorful version of everyone's favorite! This is to be made the day before, so the flavors have a chance to be brought out. Enjoy! I know we did. Prep time doesn't include overnight refrigeration or preparing the sweet potatoes for mashing.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 4 cups mashed sweet potatoes or 4 cups mashed yams
- 4 1⁄2 - 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated skim milk (you may have to use more or less to reach desired consistency)
- 2 tablespoons margarine, at room temperature
- 8 teaspoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 2 1⁄2 - 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- Bake, peel, and mash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher. To get four cups, its about 3 1/2-4 pounds of sweet potato.
- In a large bowl, beat together the potatoes (cooled until just warm), sugar, milk, margarine, orange juice, vanilla, salt, orange zest, and spices and beat until completely smooth. Add more or less evaporated milk until desired consistency has been reached.
- Spoon the mixture into a lightly greased casserole dish and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, bring sweet potato dish to room temperature, and bake (covered with a clear lid) for 35 to 45 minutes.
- In the last 5 minute of baking, spread an even layer of marshmallows over top of the casserole.
- WATCH CAREFULLY! Broil (uncovered) until the marshmallows are just turning a darker brown and they are starting to puff.