Light Buffalo Chicken Salad
photo by 2Bleu
- Ready In:
Blue Cheese Dressing
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese (about an ounce)
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 (8 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, cut into 1-inch strips (about 8 cups)
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 green onions, green part only, sliced
Optional Salad ingredients
- sliced mushrooms
- diced tomato
- low fat bacon bits
- Fold one sheet of paper towel into quarters and place on a small plate. Spoon yogurt onto paper towel and refrigerate for about 20 minutes. This will allow it to drain and thicken.
- Whisk buttermilk, thickened yogurt and mayonnaise until smooth. Add vinegar and sugar and combine well. Stir in blue cheese and pepper, to taste.
- Combine hot sauce and oil. Add chicken and coat well. Barbecue chicken until cooked through. Cut chicken into bite size pieces for the salad.
- Place salad ingredients on plates. Top with dressing and chicken. Serve with extra hot sauce, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a great, quick recipe when made with leftover chicken like I did. I simply sliced some roast chicken and warmed it in a skillet with the hot sauce and a bit of oil. Then served as directed except w/ grated carrots. The dressing didn't taste low-fat; I will try adding non-fat yogurt to my usual blue-cheese dressing in the future!
This is a lovely and very light salad. I saute'ed the chicken in oil and hot sauce and piled it high atop the salad to serve. This made a wonderful presentation. The dressing is very good, and you don't taste the low-fat in it. It tastes like a wonderful, full flavored dressing. I didn't use bacon bits as I had none, but sure wish I had as we feel they would go perfect with this recipe. Thanks for sharing. :)
I was looking for a lower fat Buffalo Chicken Salad and I do believe I've found it! I cut the salad ingredients in half and made the full amount of dressing. I used one large chicken breast (cut into bite-size pieces) and, with Maito's permission, cooked it in the recipe amount of oil with 2 T Frank's Red Hot. The sauce it makes is wonderful and spicy when adding it to the salad with the dressing. I loved it! Thanks for sharing this great salad recipe, Maito! **Made for PRMR**