Levantine Vegetable Salad
This is a "Greek-style" salad that is good for a buffet or family gathering. From a May 1982 issue of Bon Appetit in the "New Naturals" section. This salad uses recipe #371340 as part of it. For variation, you can use cubed avocado, cherry peppers or marinated baby eggplant.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 head lettuce, leaves separated, washed and dried
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 small cucumber, unpeeled and sliced
- 1 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄4 lb feta cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2- inch strips
- 1⁄4 lb kalamata olive
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives
- dried oregano, crumbled
- Combine oil,lemon juice,vinegar and pepper in small bowl and whisk thoroughly; set vinaigrette aside.
- Arrange outer leaves of lettuce around edge of serving platter; tear remaining lettuce into small pieces and transfer to small bowl.
- Add half of viniagrette and toss lightly.
- Mound in center of platter.
- Arrange onion slices around and over lettuce.
- Arrange cucumber slices inside ring of onions.
- Repeat, making progressivly smaller rings with tomato slices, feta cheese cubes and green pepper strips.
- Place some Marinated Artichokes and Mushrooms over lettuce in center;arrange remaining artichokes and mushrooms around platter.
- Top center with Kalamata olives; arrange green olives around rim.
- Drizzle salad with remaining vinaigrette and sprinkle lightly with oregano.
- Serve immediately.