Lentils With Sweet Potatoes
photo by *Parsley*
- Ready In:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup lentils
- 3 cups water or 3 cups stock
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Put the water/stock, lentils, and curry powder into a big pot over high heat. Cover. When it starts boiling, reduce the heat and bring down to a simmer. Keep it covered and simmering for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, onions, and salt. Raise the heat until it returns to a boil, then reduce so that it's simmering again. Keep covered.
- Cook until the potatoes are soft, the lentils are tender, and most of the water/stock is absorbed, about 15 more minutes. If there's too much water, remove the cover so that some of the water can boil off. If there's not enough water, add more.
- Add freshly ground pepper to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great healthy food. I used chicken stock, and yellow lentils. Screams out to be wrapped in rotis, especially the leftovers cold for lunch the next day. This is tasty, hearty, cheap, filling, nutritious and easy. I didn't find the chopping difficult at all. Just get the lentils simmering while you chop the sweet potatoes so they don't go brownish waiting to go into the pot. As my family aren't big on actual PIECES of onion I sliced an onion in half and just removed it at the end. Thanks Becky #7 I'll use this again.
I made this for my husband and he enjoyed it. The last time I made it with ground beef and it was even better than the first. The first time I felt like something was missing and this last time is when I found the missing ingredient! It was a huge hit the second time with both my husband and my daughter!
This is excellent. Simple, yet tasty and healthy. I opted to use chicken stock. Most of the flavor rides on the quality of your curry powder, so use a good one. I used a hot variety and it was fantastic. I garnished with chopped cilantro.... Yum! I don't find the chopping to be a drawback at all. I've done much more chopping for other recipes.... this was quick to prepare! Thanx for posting this!
see 3 more reviews