Lentils With Onions and Tomatoes
This is a wonderful, easy to prepare lentil dish that I received from a friend. She had attended a potluck where she sampled this Kenyan dish that her co-worker prepared from her home country. Delicious!
- Ready In:
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 chicken bouillon cubes or 1 veggie bouillon cube
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- Put lentils, bouillon cube, and water into a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer until lentils are soft and most of the water is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saute pan, add oil and onions and saute until onions are soft and browned.
- Stir in tomatoes, garlic powder, and rosemary. Let cook over medium heat until tomatoes are cooked down a bit, about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine lentils and onion mixture, stirring well.
- Adjust temperature to low. Pour in whipping cream, stirring gently.
- Allow to heat through on low for an additional 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This will be my take-a-long dinner at work tonight. I just had to try it before packing some up in my lunch bag. Delicious! I made this using fresh rosemary rather than dried and I only had half and half cream so subbed that for the whipping cream. I also used canned tomatoes because I can't stand the hockey pucks they try to fob off on us in the winter.
DH and I had this very easy to make lentil dish for lunch today. It was really tasty and we enjoyed it. I used green lentils and was a little shy of the 1/4 cup of cream. The texture of my lentils was not as moist as the photo posted, which is how we prefer it. I thought the texture was just right. Thanks so much for this nice recipe!
This is a wonderful lentil dish. I mixed in some French Puy lentils, used 2 cups vegetable broth, fresh finely chopped garlic and fresh rosemary simply because I had them on hand. I have a potluck to attend this week at work and this is a serious contender! I'm trying to get my coworkers to eat healthier. Thanks, StarryNews! Made for Veggie Recipe Swap #29, December 2010.