Lentils With Cumin and Asafetida
photo by Edana
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- Place the lentils, water and turmeric in small pot on medium heat. Stir and bring to a simmer, but do not allow the water to boil over.
- Cover with the lid slightly ajar and turn the heat to low. Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes or until tender.
- Add the salt and stir. Leave the lentils covered over very low heat.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a small frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the asafetida, swirl the pan a few times, and immediately add the cumin seeds. Allow the seeds to sizzle for about 10 seconds.
- Add the chili peppers. They will puff up and turn very dark on the bottom. As soon as this happens, take the pan off the heat and pour the entire contents into the lentils.
- Cover the pot immediately, without stirring, and allow to sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir. Keep on heat until any remaining water has boiled off and the dish has reached the desired thickness.
- Serve and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!