Lentils and Tomato Sauce With Pasta Shells
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 19 ounces tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 19 ounces lentils, drained and rinsed
- 5 cups small shell pasta
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- asiago cheese, grated, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Cook the onion, garlic, sage, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and hot pepper sauce, breaking up the tomatoes with the back of a spoon, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the spoon scraped across the bottom of the pan leaves a gap that fills in slowly, about 20 minutes.
- Add the lentils and heat through, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until tender but firm, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, drain and return to the pot.
- Add the sauce, parsley and enough of the reserved liquid to moisten.
- Toss to coat.
- Serve sprinkled with Asiago cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live with my husband, four cats, and a sweet mutt named Jada in Scarborough, Ontario, where I work as an elementary school administrative assistant. I have a 31 year old daughter who lives with her boyfriend in nearby Don Mills, along with my sweet granddogs, Frankie and Turbo. I would have to say that my passion is animals, since I have so many of them! <br /><img src=http://images.quizilla.com/H/h0t5auce/1108834307_brown_answer.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/532663/cookswithcattitude.JPG alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/CalendarGirlsSwap2009.jpg alt= /> <br /><br />If I had a month off work to do what I please, I would first catch up on my sleep and then just have fun - see a few movies and maybe take a couple of short trips - something that wouldn't break the bank - lol!</p>