Lentil,corn and Sweet Pepper Chilli (Ww 5 Points)
photo by Debbwl
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) tin crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups corn
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped coriander
- Heat non stick dutch oven.Add the oil and onion,saute until golden (about 7 mins).Add the tomatoes,stock and the lentils,and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer,and cook covered for 20 minutes.
- Add the corn,pepper,chillies,cumin and ground coriander and salt.
- Bring to the boil again,then reduce to a simmer,cover and cook until the lentils and vegetables are soft (about 15 mins).
- Stir in the chopped coriander and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
FANTASTIC - really loved this chili. Although no meat could be found, it was a wonderful thick and comforting chili with a real Mexican flair. Noo is right, tortilla's would be a great accompaniment. I used the red lentils which gave a really pretty color and provided a nice contrast between the yellow corn and rest of the chili. Plan to make again!
OK, I don't know what's going on with this but I'm finding it rather bland. Since tasting, I've thrown in some red pepper flakes, garlic powder, chili powder and more salt but it still needs *something." Color-wise, I'm getting the brown, the red and the yellow but the green of the canned chilies just blended in with the browns. I think some green pepper would be nice too. I'm going to keeping adding some flavors until I get it "kicked up."