Lentil, Carrot and Cumin Loaf
Taken from Super Food Ideas.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 4 slices multigrain bread, torn
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 2 (400 g) cans brown lentils, drained, rinsed
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup corn kernel, drained, rinsed
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line base and sides of 11 x 21 cms loaf pan.
- Allow 4 cms overhang at long ends.
- Place bread in food processor, process to make fine crumbs.
- Transfer to bowl and add onions, carrot, zucchini, lentils, egg, cumin, coriander and 1 cup corn kernels.
- Season with pepper, mix well to combine.
- Press mixture firmly into pan.
- Bake for 55 - 60 minutes, stand for 10 minutes, remove from pan.
- Serve with chutney or sweet chili sauce or salsa.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
A very nice recipe you posted thanks Kate. I took the advice of Kiwi Kathy and cooked off my onion in a teaspoon of olive oil (added in a couple of teaspoons of water when it looked like sticking and had the lid on) then added the spices for a minute or two. I also added in some garlic, the juice of half a lemon, half a teaspoon of chilli flakes and a small handful of fresh parsley to the loaf mix as all that seemed to go with the sort of Middle Eastern Flavours already in there.Reply
I was very excited to make this recipe as I had lentils from my coop box and some bread that I needed to use up! This was super easy to make and I am glad I tried it. I made 1 loaf for my dad/step-mom and 1 loaf for hubby and I. My dad (who is a meat and potatoes kind of guy) actually called to say that it was outstanding - HUGE surprise from this man. Hubby ate it up without complaints and I thought it was just OK. So I am going to meet in the middle and rate it a 4. I served it with Geelrey's (African rice which is sweet with raisins) and the two went together very well for a tasty African meal tonight. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT7 for Team Emerald City Shakers.Reply
I used spinach in place of zucchini as zucchini are not in season at the moment. While the load is filling and quite simple to make I think it would be improved by sauteing the onions, cumin and corriander to bring out the flavours more. Made and enjoyed for Aussie / Kiwi Swap 33 October 20091Reply
see 3 more