Lentil Burgers - Vegetarian
This recipe is from the back of the packet of "McKenzies" Red Lentils that I recently purchased.Can be served as a burger on a bun or with a salad on the side as a meal. Cooking/prep time does not include time for cooling. As yet untried by me
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 large carrots or 2 small carrots, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 -4 teaspoons curry powder (Clive of India brand was suggested)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- Combine lentils, celery, carrot, water, curry powder in a pan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for approx 20 minutes or until the mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and cool.
- Stir in 2 cups of breadcrumbs.
- Shape the mixture into 8 burger patties.
- Toss them in the flour, dip in the egg white and cover with the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan. Add the burgers and cook until well browned on both sides.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on a bun as a burger or as a meal with a salad on the side.