Lentil and Vegetable Stew
photo by Chickee
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 potato, large peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, scaped and diced
- 2 celery ribs, washed and diced. I peeled the outside strings off
- 225 g red lentils, washed
- 400 g canned tomatoes
- 10 ml tomato puree
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- Heat oil and fry onions and garlic until softened but not browned.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, celery and lentils. Stir to coat the vegetables with oil.
- Add tomatoes, tomato puree, herbs and vegetable stock.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 40 - 45 minutes, or until the lentils and vegetables are very tender. You might need to add some water at this stage if the stew seems to be too thick.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Mash the lentils and vegetables.
- Ready to serve.
- Freeze in portions what is not going to be used within 2 -3 days.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Delicious! I enjoyed this for lunch with my 2.5 year old who ate two bowls. I made it using canned lentils and chicken broth, added a diced zucchini and simmered all until the veggies were tender. I did not mash it. Next time I may try it with sweet potatoes instead of white ones. Can't wait for lunch again tomorrow!
This recipe has been included in book#246531. I was looking forward to trying this recipe because I love lentils, but I wasn't expecting such a superbly flavorful broth. Your recipe must have just the right amount of each ingredient because the taste was more than delicious -- a 10-star in my book. I didn't puree it since we have no "wee ones" here, and I loved the tasty bits of veggies in each bite. I served it with a bakery loaf of 5-grain bread and it made a lovely dinner. I'll be making this again and again. It's SO good. Thanks for sharing this, Kathy!