Lentil and Rice Salad
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry green lentils
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth, plus 2 cups
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1⁄2 cup pitted sliced kalamata olive
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leave
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan. Add the carrot, onion, and garlic and saute until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Decrease the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer gently until the lentils are just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well. Transfer the lentils to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, bring the remaining 2 cups broth and bay leaf to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the rice and return the broth to a simmer. Cover and simmer gently over low heat until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes (do not stir the rice as it cooks).
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Fluff the rice with a large fork. Transfer to the bowl with the lentils.
- Add the olives, parsley, thyme, and lemon peel. Toss the rice mixture with the remaining 3 tablespoons oil to coat.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation