Lentil and Potato Casserole
This warming vegetable dish can be enjoyed as a meal or as a side. Play with the flavours and you can turn this in to a curry casserole (add curry powder instead of Italian herbs) or try Moroccan spices, Cajun spices or Hungarian spices... all delish! ------
- Ready In:
- 200 g dried brown lentils
- 3 medium fresh fennel bulbs, quartered
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 4 large waxy white potatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (425 g) can whole tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Soak lentils in a bowl of cold water for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain water and cook lentils for 20 minutes in boiling water.
- Drain lentils and put aside.
- Place fennel on a baking tray and spray with cooking spray and bake in a moderate oven 180 degrees for 20 minutes or until softly roasted.
- Sauté onions in the oil until transparent.
- Add the potatoes, tomato paste and herbs and Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, lentils and stock and cook a further 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a casserole dish and place the roasted fennel just under the surface.
- Bake in a moderate oven 180 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread or brown rice for a hearty meal of as a side to a piece of steak or chicken.
- Note: Cooking time can be reduced by using canned lentils.