Lentil and Bulgur Khichdi (Combo With Vegetables)
- Ready In:
- 1 cup yellow split peas (lentil)
- 3⁄4 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1 cup potato (diced)
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup cauliflower floret
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger and green chili paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
for the tempering
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon asafoetida powder (hing)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (ghee) or 3 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee)
- Wash and soak the bulgur and mung dal for at least 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat ghee and temper with the cinnamon, cloves, cumin and hing and cook till the cumin browns slightly (5-6 seconds). Add the dal and bulgur and vegetables and other ingredients and stir for 4-5 mins on a medium flame.
- Add hot water (4-5 cups) and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. Open the cooker after steam escapes. Stir well and serve hot with papad and pickle.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Am an avid baker and love cooking too. Live in Mumbai, India.</p>