Lemony Shrimp and Potato Cakes With Tricolor Salsa
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: Crispy, lemony shrimp cakes are topped with a bright, crunchy salsa of red bell peppers, cilantro, corn and green onions for a beautiful dish that can be served midweek for dinner or as an excellent hors d’eouvre.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup corn (frozen is OK)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cups Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 1 lb raw prawns, shelled
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat an oven to 200°F.
- Make the salsa by stirring together the bell pepper, corn, green onion, cilantro, salt and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Set aside.
- Roughly chop the prawns into 1/4-inch pieces. In a large bowl, mix together the hash browns, chopped prawns, egg, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is shimmering, use a 1/2-cup measuring cup to scoop the potato mixture into the pan to make 4 patties. Use the measuring cup to press down on the patties so that they are about 1/2-inch in thickness. Cook the patties for 3 minutes or until browned on the bottom. Flip the patties over and cook another 3-4 minutes, until cooked through. Transfer the patties to a plate and keep warm in the oven while you repeat with the remaining mixture.
- To serve, place 2 patties on each serving plate. Top each patty with salsa and serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I am always on the look out for appetizers that are delicious, easy to make, and unexpectedly different. I don't have too many in my repetoire that fulfill all three of my criteria. Lemony Shrimp and Potato Cakes with Tricolor Salsa does. I made them in bite size portions and they were the first platter that disappeared.