Lemons & Limes With Vinegar & Salt Brine
This recipe gives you fruit to use in recipes, drinks or cut up and eat. The plus is a citrus vinegar to add to salad dressings or marinate meats and fish. This vinegar can be used in cake mixes such as "crazy cake or add a little in a lemon cake, if you wish.
- Ready In:
- 6 -8 whole lemons
- 6 -8 whole green limes
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 cups white vinegar
- wax paper
- Also will need 1 glass jar, gallon size, with lid.
- Hit the lemons and limes on all sides of the counter top, bruising them but not breaking the skin. Set aside.
- In saucepan heat the vinegar and salt, stir until dissolved, cool slightly.
- On a cutting board with raised edges, slice each fruit into wedges, limes 4 wedges, lemons could be up to 6 wedges. Remove seeds.
- Place in the jar with the bay leaves. Add the heated liquid.
- Stir around with a large wooden spoon.
- Add more white vinegar to cover.
- Place a piece of waxed paper over the jar.
- and then screw on the lid. The waxed paper will be between the lid and the jar.
- Sit on the counter top for about a day,.
- then refrigerate. Use after 3 days.
- Cooking time is only heating the salt and vinegar.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was not "good" as 3 stars indicates, but maybe the problems with it were my fault? I was so intrigued by the recipe I made it 2 weeks ago. It smelled heavenly! In my mind, it was full of vinegar, so I can ignore the directions regarding length of time in the fridge. Right? ...maybe not. Today I took it out - LOVED the smell, but tried a teaspoon full. OH MY GOSH! bitter!!!! I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth! I dumped the whole thing - but wondered - did the lemon & lime rinds make it bitter? Maybe...Reply
A fabulous recipe for lemon and lime lovers! This is an excellent condiment - an unusual way to preserve lemons and limes. It makes a refeshing citrus water by adding a tsp of the vinegar and half a sliced lemon to the glass. I also used the vinegar on a salad along with a sliced-up lemon and olive oil. It's delicious sprinkled over rice that has been sauteed with onions. To the brine I added four cardamon pods. Many possibilities. Thanks MHS.1Reply