Lemongrass Tofu Banh Mi
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A spin on the classic Vietnamese sandwich from Cooking Light.
- Ready In:
- 1 (14 ounce) package water-packed extra firm tofu, drained
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh lemongrass (bottom 2 inches)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups matchstick-cut carrots
- 1 1⁄4 cups matchstick-cut peeled daikon radishes
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sriracha asian garlic sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) French baguettes, halved lengthwise and toasted
- 1 cup thinly sliced English cucumber, length-wise
- fresh cilantro
- cooking spray
- Cut tofu crosswise into 6 (2/3-inch-thick) slices. Arrange tofu on several layers of paper towels. Cover with additional paper towels; top with a cast-iron skillet or other heavy pan. Let stand 15 minutes. Remove tofu from paper towels. (An easier method is to freeze completely then defrost. No need pressing.).
- Combine 2 tablespoons lemongrass, 2 tablespoons water, soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon sesame oil in a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Arrange tofu slices in a single layer in soy mixture, turning to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Combine vinegar and the next 3 ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl, stirring until sugar and salt dissolve. Add carrot and radish; toss well. Let stand for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain.
- Combine remaining 1 teaspoon sesame oil, mayonnaise, and Sriracha in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut bread horizontally. Spread mayonnaise mixture evenly on cut sides of bread.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Remove tofu from marinade, and discard marinade. Pat tofu slices dry with paper towels. Add tofu slices to pan, and cook for 4 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden.
- Arrange tofu slices on bottom half of bread; top tofu slices with carrot mixture and cucumber slices and cilantro sprigs. Cut loaf crosswise into 6 equal pieces.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION