Lemon Zest - Cranberry Muffins
I found this recipe somewhere a few years ago; it's pretty much my favourite muffin recipe. Besides being relatively low calorie (especially when compared to anything you're going to buy in a cafe), it's absolutely delicious! I'll warn you that it's not a super-sweet muffin, and that the cranberries are the real stars - I usually add more than the recipe calls for. Without the lemon zest, these lose their great texture, so don't leave it out.
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil (I use olive)
- 1⁄3 cup honey (maple syrup works too)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- Combine first 4 dry ingredients in a small bowl, sifting well.
- Combine egg, milk, oil honey, and lemon rind in a large bowl.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in cranberries.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin tins. Bake at 400 F for 20-25 min or until golden.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I used maple syrup. And didn't change the amount of lemon zest. But after reading the reviews now I wish I had use more lemon zest. Because it's true that the muffins didn't taste a lot of lemon. But overall they were great. The texture was perfect. Thanks candaceshaw :) Made for Cookbook tag game1Reply
Since we do love lemons (not to mention the cranberries, as well!) I took Mikekey's suggestion & upped the amount of lemon zest to a full tablespoon AND added a bit of lemon extract as well! Lemon & cranberry make a very satisfying combo, & these muffins were wonderfully satisfying! Many thanks for sharing this great recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]2Reply