Lemon Whoopie Pies
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From "Tasty, Healthy, Naughty, Nice"
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup coconut flour
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 medium eggs
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 1⁄2 cup honey or 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 1/4 cup brown rice syrup or 1/4 cup barley malt extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup melted coconut oil
- preheat the oven to 350.
- line 2 trays with parchment paper.
- in one bowl, stir together the dry ingredients through the sea salt.
- in another bowl, stir together the eggs, first measure of coconut oil, and the honey. (as well as the squeeze of lemon juice if using).
- add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well.
- spoon little puddles onto the lined baking trays. Bake large whoopies for 15-18 minutes. Smaller ones will only need 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to set for 15 minutes before transferring from their tray and sandwiching with the vanilla cream.
- to make the vanilla custard cream, first discard the soaking water from the cashews.
- blitz the nuts in a high speed food processor with the fresh water, natural syrup, vanilla, and another optional squeeze of lemon for a good two minutes.
- while the motor is running, slowly add the coconut oil to the cashew mix.
- blend until smooth, the mixture will thicken once chilled, so don't panic if it looks thin.
- once the custard has chilled for 2-3 hours, assemble the cookies. Spread the custard on the flat side of one cookie and top with another cookie.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION