Lemon Tea Muffins
- Ready In:
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small bowl, beat yolks for about 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Fold yolks into butter.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add 1/4 dry mixture to wet mixture alternatively with juice and peel.
- Mix until well blended.
- Continue to add dry to wet until it is all mixed in well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold egg whites into batter.
- Fill muffin cups 1/2 full with batter.
- Mix topping ingredients and sprinkle over muffins.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
Join The Conversation
Amazing! I will definatly be making these again. Unfortuantly, I had to leave the zest out, because all I had was bottled lemon juice, but they still have a wonderful flavor, not too strong, but not too weak. The thickness of the batter surprised me, and it was hard to fold the egg whites in at first, but deffinatly worth any effort you want to put into these awesome muffins.
A few more steps than a traditional muffin recipe, but worth the work. The resulting muffins are delicate and tender with a light buttery lemon flavor. I baked the mini muffins for about 12 minutes in a convection oven. I added a little more cinnamon sugar after they were baked as well as before. Thanks for sharing!