Lemon Syrup Cake
This cake is light, lemony and ultra moist - and you can whip it up in no time. Absolute heaven!
- Ready In:
- 125 g butter
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar (preferably caster sugar)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup water
- Grease a shallow 20cm (7") ring pan or a 20cm (7 inch) round cake tin.
- Set oven to 160°C (325°F).
- Combine butter, rind and sugar in a small bowl and beat with an electric mixer until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating constantly until the eggs are completely combined.
- Transfer the mixture into a larger bowl.
- Place a sieve over the larger bowl and sift in the flour.
- Add the coconut and stir until well mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and bake on the centre shelf of the oven at 160°C (325°F) for 45 minutes or until cooked.
- Syrup: Just before the cake is finished cooking, prepare the lemon syrup.
- Combine all the syrup ingredients in a small saucepan over a medium heat.
- Stir over the heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- (Do not let the mixture boil at this stage).
- When all the sugar is dissolved, increase the heat and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the mixture simmer, uncovered, without stirring for 3 minutes.
- Now, take the cake out of the oven, turn it onto a plate and pour the hot syrup slowly over the hot cake until all the syrup is absorbed.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
The taste was very good, and the colouring looks beautiful. However, I also had the same curdling problem as Chef @Oz (which resolved after I added the flour), and my eggs were actually a bit smaller. The problem I had was that it seemed like the butter was too much, as the cake is really nice but there's this really greasy aftertaste. Will lower the amount of butter next time. Thx for the recipe!
This got a resounding thumbs up in our family. It is probably one of our children's favourite cakes. I just have a few comments. Don't use 'shredded' coconut as I did on my first try as it will make the cake heavy. I had problems with the egg/butter mixture curdling although once the flour got in it was fine. Maybe my eggs were too large or I added them to quickly. If you use a ring pan, place something under it when you add the syrup as it may leak. Lastly, if you want it to last, keep it out of reach of the kids!