Lemon Pound Cake With Lemon Icing
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 finely grated lemons, zest of
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (5 to 6 lemons)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 6 cup loaf pans (4 1/2-by-8 inch) by brushing with butter and then dust with flour, tapping out excess.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk with vanilla extract and lemon extract. Add the lemon zest and juice. Set aside. Next, in a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated after each and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk and beat until just smooth (do not over mix).
- Divide your batter evenly between pans; shake and top on counter to smooth tops and get rid of air bubbles. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Start checking them a little earlier to make sure they are not getting too brown. If they are, lay a piece of aluminum foil on top. Cool 15 minutes in pan, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
- Stir together powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons lemon juice and enough milk for desired glazing consistency in small bowl. Drizzle over cooled cake.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!