Lemon Poppyseed Cake With Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
1 8" cake
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 10 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- . Prepare three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper circles in the bottom and grease the sides. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- 2. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- 3. Add the butter, oil, sugar and vanilla extract to a large mixer bowl and beat together until light in color and fluffy, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Do not skimp on the creaming time.
- 4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until mostly combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- 5. Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until mostly combined.
- 6. Combine the milk and lemon juice, then slowly add the mixture to the batter and mix until well combined.
- 7. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined and smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated. Do not over mix the batter.
- 8. Add the lemon zest and poppy seeds and gently stir to combine.
- 9. Divide the batter evenly between the cakes pans and bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
- 10. Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool for about 2-3 minutes, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
- add the cream cheese and butter to a large mixer bowl and beat until well combined and smooth.
- 12. Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
- 13. Add the lemon juice and zest and mix until well combined.
- 14. Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth. Add more or less powdered sugar, as desired for consistency purposes.
- 15. To put the cake together, use a large serrated knife to remove the domes from the top of the cakes so that they’re flat, if needed.
- 16. Place the first cake on a serving plate or a cardboard cake round.
- 17. Spread about 1 cup of frosting evenly on top of the cake.
- 18. Add the second layer of cake and another cup of frosting.
- 19. Top the cake with the remaining layer and frost the outside of the cake.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>As of 6-14-2013 DH will be completing his tour in Trinidad, which has been a wonderful adventure; and returning home to Dayton, WA. We'll miss all our friends and time there, but looking forward to enjoying home life on the ranch for awhile, while we see what the next adventure might bring.</p> 8726453"