Lemon-Poppy Seed Waffles with Blueberry Sauce
This recipe comes from "The Little RoosterCafe" in Manchester Center, Vermont. The flavors of lemon and blueberry seem to go hand in hand, and that's definately the case in this breakfast treat. Top with maple syrup, if you prefer.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb frozen blueberries, thawed and undrained
- 6 tablespoons apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Lemon-Poppy Seed Waffles
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of
- For Blueberry Sauce:Bring blueberries, 1/2 cup apple juice and sugar to boil in a heavy medium saucepan.
- Simmer over medium heat until reduced to 2 cups, about 15 minutes.
- Dissolve 1 tablespoon cornstarch into remaining 2 tablespoons apple juice and add to blueberry mixture.
- Add lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; simmer until thick, about 1 minute.
- Cool slightly.
- For Waffles: Whisk first 6 ingredients in large bowl to blend.
- Whisk eggs, buttermik, melted butter and lemon peel in small bowl to blend.
- Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture all at once and whisk until just blended.
- Let stand for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacture's instructions.
- Spoon batter onto waffle iron.
- Cover and cook until golden and cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- (Time will vary depending on waffle iron.) Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve immediately with warm blueberry sauce.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I saw this recipe in Bon Appetit years ago, and when I want to wow family or guests, this is what I make them for breakfast. It basically tastes like a combination of a poppy seed muffin and a blueberry muffin, but hot and slightly crispy. These are even good left over with a little ice cream on top for a sweet treat after dinner!Reply
see 2 more