Lemon Meringue Pie
photo by Lindas Busy Kitchen
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 10mins
For the Crust
- 2 cups flour (sifted)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup corn oil (Wesson)
- 1⁄4 cup milk (cold)
For the Filling
- 1 (3 ounce) package lemon pie filling mix (not the instant)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Sift measured flour and salt into a bowl.
- Pour oil into glass measuring cup and add cold milk to make 3/4 cup liquid.
- Pour liquid into bowl and stir with a fork.
- Save half the dough to use later.
- Roll remaining half of dough into circle between two sheets of wax paper.
- Place into pie pan, make standing rim, and prick with fork.
- Bake in oven 450°F for 8- 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and set aside to cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 425°F.
- Mix filling mix with sugar in a saucepan (not double-boiler).
- Add egg yolks and stir again.
- Add water, stirring constantly over medium heat, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Remove from heat and let cool. (this is when I zest and squeeze the lemon).
- Add butter, juice and zest.
- Let sit until meringue is ready.
- Put 5 tablespoons of the sugar into a measuring cup.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tarter until frothy. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and continue beating until whites start to stiffen. Gradually add remaining sugar while continuing to beat. Continue to beat until meringue forms stiff peaks.
- Pour filling into pie crust.
- Spoon meringue over filling, making sure to seal the edges against the pie shell.
- Make peaks with spoon.
- Brown pie 5- 10 minutes to desired color.
- Cool pie on rack and avoid drafts.
- Allow 3-6 hours for pie to firm up!
Hi Sweetiebarbara, I made your lemon pie for our Christmas dinner and am so glad I did! I chose your recipe because I liked the idea of mixing the filling mix with the fresh ingredients (which I thought would ensure a firm filling). This did make a wonderful firm filling which cut like a dream. The lemon flavor was perfect, too. I didn't use your crust (only because I had an extra one made). This was my favorite part of my dinner and the only lemon meringue pie I'll make! Roxygirl
This is the lemony-est pie I've ever tasted! And the crust is soooo flaky. I haven't actually made this pie, but Sweetiebarbara has made it for me many times. There are none that compare!!!!! I had no idea that one slice has almost 19 grams of fat. Next time I'll eat only half a piece, if I can stop at half!
The pie crust is HORRIBLE... and what am I going to do with themother half now... What a waste of ingredients! MUCH better pie crust is 1 1/3 cup flour sifted, 1/2 tsp salt nd 1/2 cup COLD vegetable shortening, crisco or tenderflake, 3-4 tablespoons ICE water.... Sift flour and salt cut in shortening until WELL incorporated and then add ice water tbsp at a time after the second one so as not to have a sticky dough... Mix until just holding nicely together and then chill for at least an hour, roll out onto lightly dusted surface. Prick bottom with fork I do mine six different spots, and bake at 425 for 8 - 10 minites. Perfect every time and no scraps! The rest of the pie ingredients for the actual pie are on the box of Jello Lemon Pie filing and turn out perfect, I add in 1/4 tsp or creame of tarter which is not in the meringue portion of the directions on the box...
see 4 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia with my husband and our cat, Lizzie Borden. We had a wonderful dog, and now have 3 more cats to keep us company.