Lemon Love Notes
This is the best! Even people who don't like lemon like these. They melt in your mouth. I don't remember where I got the recipe, but I have been making there or 30 years. I want to post here so that they live on forever.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, grated
- powdered sugar
- Combine butter, flour and powdered sugar n bowl, mix until crumbly.
- Press into ungreased 8-inch square pan.
- Bake 350°F - 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan on rack.
- Combine sugar, 2 tbsp flour & baking powder in bowl.
- Add eggs, lemon juice & rind. Mix well.
- Pour evenly over baked, cooled crust.
- Bake 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Top will puff-up while baking but will fall when cooling.
- Cool in pan on rack & cut into 2-inch squares.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Makes 16.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I have a similar recipe from a 40-year old cookbook, "The Southern Collection" from the Junior League of Columbus, GA. My grandmother had the same recipe from a cookbook from the 1930s but I can't find it. The only difference is for the filling: 3 tablespoons of lemon juice Grated rind of 1 lemon I have found over the years that most lemons I've used yield approx. 3 T of lemon juice so I always use one lemon without measuring.Reply
This recipe is the best lemon bar recipe I have found. I love these things. The first time I made them, they came out perfect. I used my kitchen aid mixer to mix the crust and the 1/2 cup of butter was melted. The second time I made these, I just softened the butter and used a wooden spoon to mix the crust instead of the mixer. The crust part turned into a cake batter, so I would suggest melting the 1/2 cup of butter and use your mixer. They still turned out good though. I also had to bake the crust in my oven for 10-13 min for it to even turn slightly golden brown. Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipeReply
see 2 more