Lemon Date Bubble Bars
photo by katew
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups dates, chopped
- 60 g butter (2ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 3 cups rice bubbles (puffed rice cereal)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted nuts, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1 tablespoon soft butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Grease and line the base of a slice tin.
- Combine dates, butter and sugar in a large saucepan. Heat for 5 minutes-do not boil. The mixture should be smooth and pulpy. Remove from the heat.
- Add the remaining slice ingredients. Mix well and press into the prepared tin. Refrigerate until set and then top/spread with the icing.
To make the Icing:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan and heat on a low heat until spreadable.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Oh, yeah ~ Another great lemon fix! Did the recipe as written & was not disappointed! Well, actually I added something to both the slice & the icing ~ A bit of lemon zest just 'cause I'm a sucker for a lemon! Really enjoyed the combo of fruits here! And, by the way, I didn't have unsalted nuts either, but did have some salty cashews around so simply rinsed them off, patted them dry & used them! Thank you so much for a great bar that I'm happy to add to my finger foods counter! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my partners in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #21]
Great slice, and so quick and easy to make. The base is absolutely perfect. I used sunflower seeds because I couldn't find an unsalted nut (except me) anywhere in the house. The icing made the overall slice a bit on the sweet side for my taste, and could easily be omitted for those trying to reduce sugar intake. Thanks Jubes for a recipe that really caters for my love of dates, coconut and lemon.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Aussie Mum - gluten-free