- Ready In:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt (not table salt)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425°. Spray a cast-iron wedge pan with baking spray with flour.
- For scones: In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, zest, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut butter into flour mixture until crumbly. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg until smooth. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. (Dough will be wet.).
- Turn out dough onto a heavily floured surface. Fold dough in half until it becomes comes together, 5 to 6 times. Pat or roll dough into a 1½-inch-thick circle. Cut dough into 8 wedges. Place wedges in wells of prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown, about 13 - 15 minutes.
- For drizzle: In a small bowl, whisk confectioners’ sugar, buttermilk, and lemon zest and juice. Drizzle over warm scones. Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm just me, mother, grandmother...friend to many and a Louisianian. My Cajun and French Quarter Italian descent afforded me exposure to some of the best of foods. My passions are my family, decorating, cooking and gardening. Those very passions push me into constant awareness with always looking for something new to delight the senses, thus my favorite idiom...Inspire me, puuuullllllleeeeeeease! ...and I mean it, too. God Bless America!