- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups orzo pasta or 1 1/2 cups pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups low-sodium broth
- 1⁄2 cup frozen tiny peas
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chiffonade fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until fragrant and translucent. Add the orzo and toast for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the wine and cook until absorbed.
- Gradually add the chicken stock, stirring frequently. Bring to a simmer, lower the heat, and cover. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the liquid is almost absorbed and orzo is tender. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in peas, Parmesan, fresh basil, lemon zest, heavy cream, and lemon juice. Season the orzo with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!