Leg of Lamb, Tuscany Style (agnello Con Piselli Alla Toscana)
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- Have the butcher bone and roll the lamb leg.
- Use the tip of a sharp, thin knife to make small slits, evenly spaced, all around the leg.
- Slice the garlic cloves and coat them with rosemary.
- Insert a garlic slice in each slit.
- Rub the leg with a generous amount of salt.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pot which is just large enough to hold the meat.
- When the oil is smoking, add the lamb and brown well on all sides.
- Distribute the tomatoes around the meat.
- Add enough water to cover 1/3 of the way up the side of the meat.
- Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Bring the water to a boil, cover the pot, and place in a preheated 300° oven.
- Simmer for about 2 1/2 hours, turning the lamb every 30 minutes for even cooking.
- Baste and add a little water if it looks dry.
- The meat is done when it is easily pierced by a cooking fork.
- About 15 to 20 minutes before the meat will be done, add the peas and about 1/4 cup water.
- Slice the lamb about 1/4´´´thick on a hot platter and spoon the sauce with the peas over and around the meat.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!