Leek and Potato Soup
- Ready In:
- 5 leeks
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 1 quart chicken broth or 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- white pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Trim leeks, split lengthwise, rinse to remove sand, and thinly slice.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté leeks for about 4 minutes
- Add the potatoes and the broth and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Season to taste with cayenne, nutmeg, salt, and white pepper.
- Strain out the vegetables and puree in blender, a little at a time, adding broth if needed. Stir puree into broth.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over low heat and stir in the flour.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the soup, a little at a time, and blend well. Cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens.
- Blend flour mixture into soup and stir until soup comes to a boil.
- Serve right away.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Fantastic soup! I've been searching for a cream-less potato soup, and this one is delicious. I didn't even need to make the roux at the end, because it was already thick and creamy and perfect. Only other change I will make next time is to cut the amount of leeks in half... five was a bit too overpowering for my taste. Otherwise, wonderful recipe! Thanks for sharing this one!