Leek and Potato Cakes
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A Nigel Slater recipe, great with meats or fish.
- Ready In:
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled
- 2 large leeks, trimmed and rinsed
- 50 g butter
- 100 ml milk
- oil (for frying)
- Boil the potatoes.
- Meanwhile, slice the leeks thinly and make sure you wash off any dirt from in between the layers.
- Melt the butter in a shallow pan and cook the leeks over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Bring the milk to a boil in a small saucepan and then take off the heat.
- When the potatoes are tender, drain and mash, pouring in the warm milk as you go.
- Stop adding milk when the consistency is thick enough to make into patties. You don't want a sloppy mash.
- Stir in the leeks, season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
- Shape into rough patties.
- Warm oil in a shallow pan and slide in the patties.
- Let them take on a golden colour, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Like out and drain on kitchen paper.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION