Lechon Kawali (Crispy Pan-Fried Roasted Pork)
A super quick and easy comfort food when I'm feeling homesick ... I thought it'll be worth posting as there seems to be no recipe on Lechon Kawali posted yet.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork liempo (pork belly)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 laurel leaves (bay leaves)
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns or 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- water, for boiling
- oil (for frying)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 shallots or 1 small onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- chili pepper (optional)
- Cut the pork belly into serving pieces then combine with the garlic, peppercorn,laurel leaves, salt and water in a pan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 35-45 minutes or until skin is tender.
- Drain, cool and air dry.
- Deep-fry liempo pieces in batches until golden brown and blisters appear on skin.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This is what I would do when making roast pork - boiling ensures that the meat is cooked through. The only difference in my method is that I prefer to roast the meat in an oven at the highest temperature to get that crispy crackling (yum!) instead of deep frying which causes splatters. It's healthier that way.