Leberknödelsuppe (Bavarian Liver Dumpling Soup)
- Ready In:
- 2 day-old bread rolls (i.e., Kaiser roll would work well)
- 1⁄8 liter lukewarm milk (about 6 ounces, or 3/4 cup)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 400 g trimmed and finely ground cow's liver (a little less than a pound)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 pinch dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of zested lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- about 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 liter beef broth (750 ml, or about 24 ounces)
- Tear the day-old rolls into small pieces, and soak in a bit of cold water.
- Squeeze out the water, then put the bread into a bowl. Add the milk and allow the bread to soak it up.
- Beat the eggs, the pour over the milk.
- Add the onion, liver, parsley, marjoram, lemon zest, salt, pepper and breadcrumbs.
- Mix together well and knead until it forms a pliable dough. (You may need to add some plain bread crumbs.).
- Form 12 walnut-sized dumplings.
- Bring about 1.5 liters (50 ounces) of salted water to a boil.
- Gently add the dumplings and simmer for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- While the dumplings are simmering, heat the beef broth and keep warm.
- Pour the broth into bowls and add dumplings to each serving. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I joined Recipezaar to learn new recipes that are home cooked. I grew up having ready-meals like Encor and Stouffers and needed recipes that don't simply require opening a box and plopping in the oven! I enjoy cooking when I have the time to try new dishes. I make every recipe as written if I'm reviewing it to give a true review. If I make alterations that aren't in the directions, I don't feel it's a true reflection of the recipe; it's another recipe to me. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/chefpaulag/final-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/captain.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/329769/ninja%20bmp.jpg" width=75%> (Zaar World Tour 4) <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg"> <a href="http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/Missymop/?action=view¤t=cunningcrocodiles.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/Missymop/cunningcrocodiles.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/DSC_0020.jpg"> (Australia/New Zealand Swap #15)