Lean Beef Stroganoff
This recipe stretches 1 pound of beef to a satisfying meal for 4.
- Ready In:
- 1 (10 ounce) package wide egg noodles
- 1 boneless beef top sirloin steak, 3/4 inch thick (about 1 pound)
- 1 lb medium-size mushroom
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- light sour cream (optional)
- Place beef in freezer to make it easier to slice.
- Prepare egg noodles according to package directions; drain, butter, and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, take beef out of freezer and cut steak lengthwise in half.
- Then, with knife held in slanting position almost parallel to the cutting surface, slice each half across width into 1/8-inch thick slices.
- Thickly slice the mushrooms and coarsely chop onion.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat, cook the meat, stirring quickly and constantly, until browned, about 2 minutes; remove to plate or bowl (it may be necessary to brown the beef in two batches).
- In same skillet over medium-high heat, in hot oil, cook mushrooms and onion until tender.
- In a cup, mix flour with ½ cup water; stir into mushroom mixture with beef broth, Worcestershire, salt and sugar.
- Over high heat, heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until mixture thickens slightly.
- Return beef to skillet; heat through.
- Spoon noodles onto a large platter.
- Spoon beef mixture over noodles.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Pass light sour cream to spoon over each serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION