Layered Potato and Cheese Casserole
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Seek out authentic Italian fontina, the semisoft mild cheese from the Valle d' Aosta. Offer this classic baked dish as a substantial first course or as a simple main course at lunch, perhaps accompanied by a green salad -
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 lbs baking potatoes, of uniform size
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, shredded
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup light meat stock
- Have ready a large bowl of water. Peel the potatoes and slice them into thin rounds. As soon as they are skiced, place them in the water. When they have all bveen sliced, drain well and lay out on a kitchen towel to dry.
- Preheat an oven to 300°F Grease a baking dish about 9 1/2 inches in diameter with the butter. In the prepared dish, layer some of the potato slices in a circle, with the slices slightly overlapping, to form a flower,.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and a small handful of each of the cheeses. Repeat the layering until yo have used up all the potatoes, finishing with the cheeses. Pour the meat stock over the surface.
- Bake until potatoes are tender when pierced with a toothpick and the top is slightly golden, about 1 1/2 hours. Be careful that they do not become too brown on top, covering the dish with aluminum foil if necessary. Serve hot, directly from the dish.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION