Layered Mac and Cheese Casserole
photo by Space Burger Steve
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
1 pan of food
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 300 g grated cheddar cheese
- 454 g fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 50 g grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 150 g grated cheddar cheese
- 450 g macaroni
- 300 g ham
- Preheat oven to 350F convection bake.
- In batches, pulse spinach in food processor until coarsely chopped.
- Place chopped spinach in a pot, cook over medium-low heat until wilted.
- Place spinach in small mixing bowl, set aside.
- Boil a pot of water, cook macaroni as directed.
- At the same time, melt butter for cheese sauce in a pan.
- Add flour, white pepper, mustard powder, cayenne, and nutmeg to butter, fry briefly to toast flour.
- Mix in milk a bit at a time, mixing thoroughly to avoid lumps.
- Continue to heat sauce until thickened slightly, stirring regularly.
- Add cheese to sauce, stir until melted.
- Add 1/2 cup of cheese sauce to spinach, add the rest to cooked macaroni.
- Add cheese and bread crumbs to spinach.
- Dice ham.
- Mix together butter and bread crumbs for topping, then mix in cheese.
- Grease a 13x9 pan. Pour in one third of the macaroni and cheese. Layer diced ham on top. Cover with another third of the macaroni. Spread out spinach layer on top. Cover with remaining macaroni. Sprinkle topping over all.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Geek, gamer, foodie, metal fan, cyclist, diver, husband, dad, blue collar suburbanite.