Lawrys Creamed Spinach
photo by WI Cheesehead
- Ready In:
- 6 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons season salt (Lawrys preferred)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoned pepper (Lawrys preferred)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon parsley
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, cooked and drained
- In a medium skillet, cook bacon until almost crisp.
- Add onion to bacon and cook until onion is tender about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add flour and seasonings; blend well.
- Gradually stir in milk; cook and stir over low heat until thickened.
- Add spinach and mix well.
- If too thick add more milk.
Made this to go with steak tonight and both the husband and I liked it. I would use a bit less flour next time as I found it to be a bit too thick. Good taste though, and better after it sat in the fridge after I made it. We'll be eating it as leftovers for two more meals, and I bet the flavors will continue to improve!
I didn't cook the spinach before hand, just squeezed the water out of it and warmed it up after adding to recipe. I didn't have seasoned salt and pepper, and the family felt it was too salty. I would cut it at least in half next time. Loved the flavor with the bacon in it! I also used a Vidalia onion. Made for Cameraless Chef.
see 1 more reviews