Lavadores (Washboard Cookies)
This recipe is from portuguesecooking.com
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 lemon, grated peel of
- 4 cups flour, as needed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and 1 C of the sugar, about 1 minute.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, blending well after each, until the batter is fluffy and pale yellow, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in grated lemon peel.
- In a medium bowl, wisk together flour and baking powder.
- Using a wooden spoon, fold the flour into the egg batter.
- Mix well. Gently knead the dough in the bowl for about 5 minutes.
- Place the remaining 1/2 C of sugar in a shallow dish.
- Shape pieces of dough into 1&1/2 inch balls.
- Roll in the sugar and place on parchment-lined or lightly greased cookie sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Flatten gently with tines of a fork to make horizontal lines.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a light golden color.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I found this a very easy cookie to prepare .. I am not the best baker, so if it works for me it must be good! Less sweet than I would expect, but DH said it was perfect, and he particularly likes the crispness of these bite-size nibbles.<br/>Thank you Lynn, a lovely tea-time treat, made for PRMR tag game.